turn on INT13Ex
Boba
2010-05-07 14:42:25 UTC
Hello,
I need a BIOS call to turn on
the INT 0x13 Extension? tia
Boba
Tim Roberts
2010-05-09 02:33:07 UTC
Post by Boba
I need a BIOS call to turn on
the INT 0x13 Extension? tia
It's an odd question. You don't "turn on" the INT 13 extensions. They are
either present, or they are not.

However, you posted this in a Windows group, and in Windows INT 13 is
irrelevant. Windows doesn't use INT 13 for I/O.

What are you really trying to do?
--
Tim Roberts, ***@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
Boba
2010-05-09 03:21:16 UTC
Hi Tim;
Post by Tim Roberts
Post by Boba
I need a BIOS call to turn on
the INT 0x13 Extension? tia
It's an odd question. You don't "turn on" the
INT 13 extensions. They are either present,
or they are not.
I've thought so too (since at least the times it
was introduced). Turned out, in some BIOSes, the
INT13+41 call comes back w/carry flag set if the
POST has not found any bootable disks supporting
the extension, in which case I need to 'turn it
on' myself.
Post by Tim Roberts
However, you posted this in a Windows group, and
in Windows INT 13 is irrelevant. Windows doesn't
use INT 13 for I/O.
I don't see anything wrong with using BIOS calls
for kernel writing.
Post by Tim Roberts
What are you really trying to do?
I am trying to fix a problem with some software
which relies on that extension. Thanks. Boba TC
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
2010-05-10 14:55:57 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Windows INT 13 is irrelevant. Windows doesn't use INT 13 for I/O.<br>
kernel writing.<br>
in particular the one for Win32 programming with (roughly) the <code>KERNEL32.DLL</code>
API.&nbsp; This newsgroup isn't about writing kernels, or even about
kernel-mode programming on Windows NT.&nbsp; Firmware APIs are entirely
irrelevant to the Win32 programming discussed here.&nbsp; And as M. Roberts
also said, once it is past the very early stages of the bootstrap
process, the IBM PC/AT firmware disc I/O services are wholly irrelevant
to Windows NT.<br>
Boba
2010-05-10 15:53:55 UTC
Hi Jonathan;
...once it is past the very early stages
of the bootstrap process,
what ng is the most appropriate for posting
a question regarding these stages? is ntldr
a part of kernel?
Don Burn
2010-05-10 16:18:58 UTC
The NTLDR was part of the HAL kit, but since that went away many years
ago it is irrelevant what group. There is no way to do this, unless
your BIOS has a menu to configure it.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
2010-05-10 17:50:26 UTC
Post by Don Burn
There is no way to do this, unless
your BIOS has a menu to configure it.
Somehow _that_ bios does this with no menu
option exposed. Thanks for the input, Don.