Microsoft Sloppiness Again - OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED
Le Chaud Lapin
2010-09-26 18:32:27 UTC
Hi All,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff569593(VS.85).aspx

First they write:

"As a query, the OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED OID specifies the maximum speed of
the NIC in kbps."

Then they write:

"The unit of measurement is 100 bps, so a value of 100,000 represents
a hardware bit rate of 10 Mbps"

Apparently, Microsoft technical documentation is written by a bunch of
squirrels.

In about 10 minutes, I will find out which of these obviously-
conflicting statements is correct, empircally.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
jon
-Le Chaud  Lapin-
Richard Russell
2010-09-27 11:48:44 UTC
Post by jon
Post by Le Chaud Lapin
"As a query, the OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED OID specifies the maximum speed of
the NIC in kbps."
"The unit of measurement is 100 bps
I agree with you that most Microsoft documentation does suck, but in
fact 100 * 100,000 = 10,000,000 which is 10 Mega (million).
Yes, but "kbps" (first quote) is not the same as "100 bps" (second
quote).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/