WIA support under Vista and Windows 7
Richard Russell
2010-06-16 08:53:50 UTC
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to ask the question,
but can anybody clarify which of these statements in MSDN is correct:

"WIA does not support cameras in Windows Vista or later. For those
versions of Windows, use the Windows Portable Device (WPD) API":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630381(VS.85).aspx

"The existing Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and Windows Media Device
Manager (WMDM) APIs in Windows will continue to be supported and
compatibility with WPD will be provided by compatibility layers":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd389004(VS.85).aspx

Superficially these seem contradictory.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Pavel A.
2010-06-18 01:48:41 UTC
Post by Richard Russell
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to ask the question,
"WIA does not support cameras in Windows Vista or later. For those
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630381(VS.85).aspx
"The existing Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and Windows Media Device
Manager (WMDM) APIs in Windows will continue to be supported and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd389004(VS.85).aspx
Superficially these seem contradictory.
Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
There are other imaging devices besides cameras.
--pa
Richard Russell
2010-06-18 08:23:49 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
There are other imaging devices besides cameras.
This is not relevant to my question. Both the MSDN links quite
specifically refer to *cameras*, yet they say contradictory things.
Another quote from the second link: "Microsoft remains committed to
ensuring application and digital still camera compatibility in the
next version of Windows".

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/